Alright, if you are a parent, you have to help the rookie parents out. We’re exhausted (yeah, yeah, not interesting but we need help), and we’ve got to get this boy sleeping for more than 45 minute to 90 minute snippets at night. Here’s what we know: he’s being treated for acid reflux and that has reduced his wake-ups by half (we were having 15 wake-ups a night. We’re down to 5-7 a night. If we aren’t vigilant about how his day is spent, he reverts back to 15 wake ups but we know what causes that and are being vigilant so we’ve avoided those regressions of late). He’s on soy. That hasn’t really made a difference with his wake-ups. Half of his wake-ups seem to be hunger-related so we’re working on trying to get him to eat more during the day (he would prefer to eat just one ounce here and there when he asks for it– which is how he was fed in the care house– but we’re working on a food schedule and on trying to get him to eat more than 2 forced ounces at a time). We think that if we could get him to take more than 30 ounces a day during daylight hours, he might drop a wake up or two at night. He goes down around 7:30 pm and takes 2 naps during the day– each of those naps last between 90 minues and 120 minutes (he doesn’t sleep that solidly at night which is interesting). Getting him to sleep is not at all a problem. Getting him to stay asleep is the problem. We use an ocean machine and have been using a swaddle but know those days are coming to an end. So, here are my questions for those of you who have been there before (and there might be questions I don’t know to ask so feel free to chime in with information that you think we could use even if I don’t ask about it!!). I know we’ll need to take our particular situation and child into account as we consider suggestions, but suggestions at this point will be so hopeful because they’ll help us to think about all the possible ways we could address the issue. Thank you so much!
1. What type of daytime and nighttime sleep schedule did your seven-eight month old have (that seemed to work)? What time were naps and how long did they tend to last? What time was bedtime, what was his/her sleep like over night (no wake-ups, one wake-up for food or a diaper change or whatever, etc), and how long was he/she able to sleep overnight?
2. What was your bedtime ritual with your 7-8 month old?
3. What was your feeding schedule with your 7-8 month old (ie when did he or she have bottles and when did he or she have food and how much would he or she have for that feeding)?
4. Did your 7-8 month old sleep on their back or stomach? Did he or she have a preference for either? Could you tell a difference?
5. If you used a swaddle with your infant, how did you transition from the swaddle?
6. How did you handle middle of the night wake-ups (give him or her a certain amount of time to see if he/she went back to sleep, went in and rubbed them but didn’t picked up, picked up based on the degree of crying, gave him/her a bottle)?