Y’all, I am having a time (and I know I’m not alone). Weeks ago, I came up with a list of upcoming posts to share here. For today, December 5th, the plan was to share (and to reveal to myself because I learn what I know deep down inside by writing) what my word for 2016 had ended up meaning and revealing to me.
If I had written that post right then, I would have had so much to share. But I didn’t. And then the world tilted and, now, I cannot help but think about the irony of trying to write about my word for the year while I feel what I currently feel given that my word for 2016 is/was
- 1. raise to a higher position or level.
I am not naïve enough to think we all think the same way or even that we need to think the same way, but I do know that we share a kindredness in some way because we have connected here. And while a month ago, when I thought about sharing what my 2016 intention of lift had offered and taught me, I was thinking about it in a deeply personal way, today, I am thinking about lift as a universal intention.
As I close 2016 with the utmost intention, here is how I plan to practice LIFT:
- I will remember that we are all here on purpose and let that truth keep me from deep despair.
- I will offer more love, especially when I am feeling unloving, unlovable, stingy, or a little self-righteous.
- I will wholeheartedly apologize when necessary, realizing that what the world needs less of is self-righteousness or blind spots.
- I will embrace the fact that I am a light in this world- every single one of us is- and I will choose to shine.
- I will work my hardest to go deeper when I don’t understand something or someone’s point of view. Can I ask the right questions that will lead me to see where they are coming from? Can I share with them in a way that allows them to see where I am coming from?
- I will hug more often and too long.
- I will believe in myself and know that what I want is accessible to me if I just reach a little bit higher. Sometimes, I may take a break from the reach but if it is still true to me after I rest, I understand that I have a responsibility to lift myself to that reality.
- I will believe in those around me and practice that belief by asking what it is they dream of and helping them to find a way to realize their vision.
- I will fuel my bravery, feeding it so much fire that it is bigger than my fear.
- I will check-in with those I care about to remind them that they are not alone and walk in company with them on their journey.
- I will take profound care of myself, knowing that a withered spirit cannot sustain a hopeful heart.
- I will remember that I am a creature of this Earth, every single one of us is, and honor that preciousness with how I show up in the world.
I will lift my spirit and the spirit of others as we collectively walk into the future we share.
Let’s join together.