To think of summarizing my blessings on one day each year feels a bit overwhelming. Surely, I’ll forget something or someone and well, then, I’ll just feel awful (instead of grateful). And so I opt for a tradition that many of us are familiar with… the gratitude journal. Today’s post is adapted from Day 151 in Beautiful You:
Too often, we fail to see the miracles and beauty in our days. Yet gratitude is such an important contributor to our sense of happiness and well-being. The Gratitude Journal gained fame after Oprah Winfrey featured it on her show. The concept, which comes from the Quaker tradition, is to write a gratitude list that celebrates three to five things, no matter how small, each night. By grounding yourself in the things for which you are grateful, you become even more empowered to explore your life’s possibilities. You also allow a very deliberate embrace of positive energy while exercising deliberate self-awareness.
Today, share five things for which you are already especially grateful this week. I’ll start:
1. Having the chance to spend this past weekend with my parents with no real agenda other than being together. Living in different states, my family doesn’t get enough time with them and so I am always happy to just enjoy their company.
2. My parents recorded an audiobook for Happy while we were visiting them this past weekend. We “read” it all the time. I love having my parents voices nearby, even when we aren’t on the phone.
3. Beautiful weather. We’ve had a few gorgeous days strung together. Wow.
4. My Sugar Shack and BF for building it. I love that space. I only get at most 9 hours in it a week but I love every minute in that space.
5. My friends. Several of them took the morning off to celebrate my birthday by making vision boards. How lucky am I?
Now, your turn, five blessings from this week….