So, every year in anticipation of my birthday, I write a list. If you don’t know about the list, go read about it now. I’ll wait for you. Alright, good, now we’re all caught up on what the whole list thing is. I’ve been crafting this year’s list and have the bulk of it done. And this year, I am doing something I’ve never done before, I am leaving a few items blank to be filled in as I get ideas during the year. I also took a different spirit with this year’s list. In the past I’ve had some shoulds on there (giving up sugar cold-turkey) as well as things that other people ultimately control (cleaning out my parent’s attic) and, well, the shoulds and the other people control it stuff just hasn’t been happening. So, I am going pure with this year’s list. I control these things and I also really want to do them. Not a should on the list. Oh, and I went smaller with this list than I normally do. The list had gotten pretty big and ambitious and, well, I just didn’t want to be ambitious 38 times. You can say that I wanted to be both pure and practical. You can see that on this year’s list. So, here it is. And if you have suggestions for the final items on the list, I’d love to hear them- even if they aren’t pure or practical. A little whacky whimsy never hurt anyone as long as it’s not 38 whacky and whimsical things I need to fit in with a toddler underfoot and some papers to grade.
2. Create a professional vision board.
3. Take my birthday off.
5. Take Happy and Lola on a hike.
6. Pick berries.
7. Redo the backyard.
8. Pick apples.
9. Cut Christmas tree.
10. Reestablish my personal style.
11. Read 38 books.
12. Take a personal retreat.
13. Run 6 miles or for 60 minutes.
14. Make cinnamon rolls.
15. Make crepes.
16. Make quinoa.
17. Have a great backyard garden.
18. Read something by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
19. Take short trip with BF.
20. Have a monthly date with BF.
21. Build robust professional life.
22. Research and decide on adoption.
23. Figure out college savings plan.
24. Increase retirement savings.
25. Have a girls’ trip.
26. Redecorate master bedroom.
27. Have a picnic.
28. Redo Happy’s bedroom and closet.
29. Do a creative marathon: complete 26 works of art.
30. Finish cleaning out attic.
31. Start writing a new book.
32. Develop horse/ riding skills.
33. Go to at least 6 presentations/ readings/ performances.
34. Write in Happy’s journal regularly.
35. Fly a kite.
36. Take Happy to see McAdenville lights.
37. & 38. To be determined
The very best part of the list? Three items will be completed on my birthday (items #1-3 because I am spending my not-working birthday making vision boards with friends who are sweet enough to indulge my crazy and have a during preschool vision board making party). And then another 3 items will be completed by Christmas (cinnamon rolls, cutting the Christmas tree, and going to see the lights). Woohoo!
Do you do a birthday list? If so, what is on yours?
Want to see past lists?34 Things 35 Things 36 Things 37 Things