We’re starting the week with the three Rs: reminders, requests, and a reading list!
First, two reminders…
1. This Wednesday is All Natural Day. Be fresh-faced that day and embrace your natural mission! Details here.
2. Love Your Body Day is October 19th. To celebrate, I invite you to sign the Body Warrior Pledge (and be entered to win some great prizes!). Go embrace your fabulousness now by making a conscious commitment to love you.
And, now, two requests…
1. I am working on my annual birthday list (the birthday countdown is on) and I’d love your suggestions for possibilities to explore for the list. Specifically, I thought I might list some recipes to attempt (I am thinking cinnamon rolls and savory crepes will make the list) and some books to read (I haven’t read some classics like Jane Eyre, Little Women, Love in the Time of Cholera, or 100 Years of Solitude and I think it is time to remedy that). So, do you have any list ideas in general for me? Book suggestions? Recipe suggestions? Share what you are thinking!
2. Any blog requests? I’d love any requests you have of issues, thoughts, ideas you’d love covered on the blog.
Finally, reading list:
I’m one hour of an audio book away from wrapping up my 37 books in my 37th year. This year, I got into a whole new genre I had never really read before: thrillers. I found that I loved listening to them as audio books in the car on the way back and forth to teach. All of the books were good (for different reasons, of course) as I have a new rule that if a book doesn’t grab me, I don’t finish it. I used to be a must finish a book if I’ve started it girl and it just made me a slower, less happy reader. And reading’s my home. I want to dig it so I’ve let myself off the hook on finishing things that don’t resonate with me– book taste is so subjective after all. My very favorite two books of the year were Room and Faith. I also really loved Raising Your Spirited Child. Since we have such a child in our midst, it was especially insightful. Another highlight of the year was Madame President-– a great read written by a novel writing team that I happen to have the good fortune of knowing. If you like a thrill and love the idea of seeing a female president take on terrorists (or if you find that you are really missing the tv-series 24), Madame President is a book you want to check out. Everything else was good, too– and you can see the full list below.
What’s been your favorite read this year?
1. I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron on November 22, 2010
2. Bad Mother by Ayelet Waldman on November 21, 2010
3. Stupid and Contagious by Caprice Crane on December 1, 2010
4. Room by Emma Donoghue on December 9, 2010
5. Life Sentences by Laura Lippman on December on December 13, 2010
6. Die for You by Laura Unger on December 22, 2010
7. The Divorce Party by Laura Dave on December 26, 2010
8. London is the Best City in America by Laura Dave on December 29, 2010
9. How to Talk to a Widower by Jonathan Tropper on January 4, 2011
10. Eighteen Acres by Nicolle Wallace on January 10, 2011
11. Every Last One by Anna Quindlen on January 16, 2011
12. Cleaving by Julie Powell on January 30, 2011
13. Object of Beauty by Steve Martin on February 4, 2011
13. Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurchinka on February 13, 2011
14. An Italian Affair by Laura Fraser on February 24, 2011
15. Half a Life by Darrin Straus on March 6, 2011
16. While I am Falling by Laura Moriarty on March 9, 2011
17. The Nanny Diaries on March 25, 2011
18. The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachmann on April 22, 2011
19. Man in the Woods by Scott Spencer on May 2, 2011
20. Madame President by Margueritte Williams and Jon Guttman on April 24, 2011
21. Bound by Antonya Nelson on May 3, 2011
22. No Good Deeds by Laura Lippman on May 14, 2011
23. Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi on May 18, 2011
24. Chasing Harry Winston by Laura Weisberger on May 29, 2011
25. Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult on June 24, 2011
26. The First Husband by Laura Dave on June 30, 2011
27. Georgia Bottoms by Mark Childress on July 3, 2011
28. All We Ever Wanted Was Everything by Janelle Brown on July 9, 2011
29. The Opposite of Me by Sarah Pekkanen on July 18, 2011
30. On Beauty by Zadie Smith on July 21, 2011
31. Bossypants by Tina Fey on July 21, 2011
32. Faith by Jennifer Haigh on August 11, 2011
33. Skipping a Beat by Sarah Pekkanen on August 16, 2011
34. The 9th Judgment by James Patterson on September 3, 2011
35. Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner on September 14, 2011
36. Love You More by Lisa Gardner on September 29, 11
37. The Most Dangerous Thing by Laura Lippman on October 7, 2011