On the day we met
Happy 6 months (and 1 month home)!
In honor of our one month of parenthood and six months of Sweet Baby A’s life, I thought I’d do a little round up of six things about Sweet Baby A.
1. He is WILD about vocal sound effects. Whistling will always make him smile. Raspberries? Good times. Clucking the tongue. Smiles for days. Zerberting his belly? Buys you big laughs. And my singing– truly a vocal sound effect and not singing at all– totally makes him happy which makes me so happy because no one has wanted to hear me sing (for good reason) since I was in third grade and performed “You are never fully dressed without a smile” as Pepper from Annie in the school musical. Hmm, I haven’t sung that one to him yet. It’s coming.
2. He is sitting up! When we met him in Ethiopia and tried to put him in a sit, he face planted (don’t worry, it was on our bed). Now, our boy is totally sitting up.
3. He’s got legs of steel. We’ve been working on his leg strengh along with his core strength and you can really tell. Actually, we’ve created a monster because now it is all he wants to do. We lay him down to change his diaper, and he wigs out that he is not standing. And he totally locks his legs so that he is always in a stand– resisting his high chair, his car seat, and most anything else you need a knee bend for.
4. He’s discovered whining and is becoming a pro at it. Now, I gently whine back at him when he whines (surely I am not the only mother who has done that?), and it so confuses him that he stops the whining. How long will that last?
5. He always falls asleep at the exact same place on our walk– no matter what our route is. We can be out for 1 hour or 10 minutes, but when we pass this one building that is 1/10 of a mile from our house, he passes out. It cracks me up.
6. He tried a swing for the first time on his six month birthday, and he loved it. It was the cutest thing ever. And so was his playdate in general with his bud M. When M reached out to hold A’s hand while they drank their bottles, I about wept. Seriously.