In the fall of 2006, I became convinced that we were on the precipe of a beauty and body standard revolution. That the standards were about to be shaken up in a very real way. We’re still warming to that revolution, but I believe it is working up its speed (look for my revolution posting later this week). Here are some of the things that I remember from 2007 that gave the revolution steam. Check them out, share with us any that I missed for 2007, and keep your eye out for evidence of the revolution in 2008. Here’s to at least doubling the list of cheers in 2008!
1. Jennifer Hudson gracing the cover of the March 2007 issue of Vogue– the spring fashion spread.
3. Tyra Banks confronts tabloid coverage of figure and says, “SO WHAT?”
6. Sorority members quit in solidarity with dismissed sisters.
7. Council of Fashion Designers of America introduces new health standards for models.
8. A decline in abstinence-only sex education programs. I am all for young people being abstinent. I am NOT for undereducating our young people and, thus, leaving them vulnerable.